The Acrow Military Bridge is an adaptation of the field proven 700XS Acrow Panel Bridging system. It utilizes mostly standard components with the introduction of certain custom components, which enhance the systems effectiveness as a rapidly deployed “line of communications” bridge or “fixed modular bridge” for both military applications and disaster relief.
Spans can range up to 76 meters. In short, all of the features which make the 700 XS Bridging so effective for civilian applications are also available with the Acrow Military Bridge.
In 2007 the Australian Department of Defence under Project LAND139 adopted and standarized on the Acrow 700XS Panel Bridge as their Fixed Modular Line of Communication Bridge. Also, in 1995, the Canadian Department of National Defense adopted the Acrow Bridge as a replacement for its aging Bailey Bridges. US Forces have used the Acrow 700XS in specific theatres of operations. Other military forces that have purchased or standardized on the Acrow 700XS are Bangladesh, Pakistan, Colombia, Israel, United Nations Peacekeeping Missions, and others. All components have received NATO stock numbers and component drawings have been registered with NATO in Brussels. An operating manual has also been produced to military standards.
Characteristics of the 700XS Bridge for Military and Peace Keeping Missions:
- Ships in standard 20 foot (6 meter) and 40 foot (12 meter) dry ocean containers
- Parts are identifiable by touch
- Can be assembled using MHE’s or solely with man power
- Can be launched and retrieve from each side of a gap
- The all steel construction is highly durable
- The steel construction is easily repaired in the field when damaged by enemy fire or accident
- Side trusses can be upgraded to increase load capability
- Assembly time is fast – often less than one day
- Risk assessments have been identified to assist with safe assemblies
- Entire bridge pins and bolts together
- Designed to the Trilateral Design and Test Code for Military Bridging code
- Capable of loads up to MLC120
- Available in single lane and two lane roadways
- Ramps are available
- Typically supplied with steel decks. However, timber decks also available.