Training and Courses
Trainers / Facilitators
MECHEM has access to a pool of well trained and experienced trainers in their respective field of expertise.
Mine Action Training
MECHEM are well established to present the following training courses:
Basic Demining & IMAS EOD Level 1
- Level 1 EOD qualification enables a technician to locate, uncover, identify and, under supervision, destroy mines in-situ. The Level 1 EOD Technician is only authorized to destroy those mine types for which he has received specific disposal training.
- This course should concentrate on basic ordnance identification for all types of ordnance and very specific identification for the most common types of mines encountered in Afghanistan. Also covered by the course is the basic demolition procedure for taught-mines destruction and general ordnance safety. It is preferred, but not required, that personnel attending the Level 1 EOD course already be deminers.
IMAS EOD Levels 2
- Level 2 EOD qualifications enables a technician to undertake the in-situ disposal of single small UXO, such as sub-munitions, grenades and mortar ammunition up to 84 mm diameter. This includes High Explosive, Anti-Tank (HEAT) munitions, but excludes White Phosphorus (WP). A minimum of two years of EOD Level 1 experience (after graduating from an accredited EOD Level 1 course) is required before attending Level 2 EOD course.
- The Level 2 EOD course is still considered a basic course, but delves into ordnance, other than mines, up to 84 mm, which are usually the most common encountered in BAC and demining tasks. Much of the information is as in Level 1, but more information will be given on munitions 84 mm and below, including the fuses likely to be encountered.
IMAS EOD Levels 3
- Level 3 EOD qualification enables a technician to dispose of larger UXO, such as rocket, tank gun and artillery ammunition up to 240 mm diameter, including HEAT munitions. Under the direction of a Level 4 EOD technician, a Level 3 EOD Technician is authorized to render safe UXO for safe removal, pending their disposal. A minimum of three years experience of Level 2 EOD (after graduating from an accredited Level 2 EOD course) is required before attending a Level 3 EOD course.
- This course will cover an even greater variety of ordnance and the specialized disposal of ordnance containing White Phosphorous (WP). Render safe, low order and bulk disposal procedures should also be covered here, since the Level 3 is authorized to perform these actions under the direction of a Level 4 EOD Technician. The Level 3 EOD technician should also attend a management course if he/she will be fulfilling a supervisory position. Management course may be included in the Level 3 training or it may be a separate course.